Thursday, July 22, 2010

Parker Memorial Rec Center/Kelvin D. Anderson Gymnasium

Please forgive the blurry pictures. It's a new camera, and beyond that I'm just a crappy photographer.

Last week, I was treated to a tour of the newly renovated Parker Memorial Center/Kelvin D. Anderson Gymnasium, a Recreation Center on the North End of Hartford.

Walking in through the back door, I was greeted with a beautiful, wall-sized painting outside of the Kelvin D. Anderson Gymnasium. Most people probably would've said, "Hey, who is Kelvin D. Anderson anyway?" But I'm not really good at the whole attention to detail thing, so I kind of just nodded and smiled as my guides showed me the piece and said, "That's why we placed this picture outside the gym." It wasn't until the end of the tour that someone told me that Kelvin Anderson was an Olympic boxer who died in a plane crash on his way to compete in Poland back in 1980. Oh...so that wasn't Muhammad Ali...good to know.


Right now, the gym and fitness area are the only parts of the Center that are open for public use, and I suggest you get some use out of them. Most of my experience in gyms involved sitting on the bleachers and faking illness while other children threw balls at each other. But with all the natural light that beamed in, I could see playing basketball on one of the 6 hoops in there being a pleasant experience for active people.


The fitness center was more my cup of tea. The equipment was clean and new, with about a billion free weights and some benches, 2 treadmills, 1 elliptical, a recumbent bike and an upright one. I know gyms are advertising their $10 a month specials right now, but this is free dollars a month with hours that are just as convenient. And I know some of you wise-asses are gonna say, "it's not free, I pay taxes!" First off, you probably come running in City Hall on the last day they're due, just like me, so let's not get all indignant. Second, this is one of those rare opportunities we get to see our tax dollars in action, so stop by and pump some iron just so you can feel like you're getting some justice.





In the front of the building is the Multipurpose Room. Right now it's set up with some long tables and fun green chairs, all facing a large dry erase board with a projector hanging from the ceiling; sort of like a lecture hall. But this room can also be used as a cafeteria since there's a chromed-out commercial-style kitchen attached. The room also serves a much more important purpose: In 2012, when the Mayan calendar is up and tidal waves crush our homes, it can double as a community shelter for families in need using a generator for up to 2 weeks. Hahaha, I'm just kidding! About the Mayan tidal wave...the shelter part is very real and very awesome. Let's hope we never have to use it, but if we do, Parker Center will hold us down.

There will be a computer lab with about 8-10 computers available, but they weren't yet installed so no blurry pics of those exist. There's also an arts & crafts room with some large tables to work on. This room will double as a classroom for community classes that will be available, such as parenting courses, GED training, literacy programs, tutoring for students and so much more. So while your kids are playing around the center, you can get your own stuff done. Another feature is a room with a smaller, round table that I think would be a great space for smaller groups to hold meetings in.

Art lab



Meeting room


The pool is beautiful and will be used for lifeguard training and swim classes. As much as I enjoy children, when I'm trying to be all fitness-y and do some laps, I don't want them splashing and jumping on top of me while I'm trying to do my thing. So they'll have an adult swim period for those of you who share my sentiment.


The pool is closed for the summer since there are outdoor pools open all around the city, hence the cover, but it also serves a "green" purpose; it keeps the heat inside the pool, using less energy to keep the water at the proper temperature. Your tax dollars ain't playin around.

In the center of it all is the game/TV room, where you'll find some couches, a few tables and chairs, air hockey, foosball and pool tables.


Last but not least is a garden out back, tended to by some local children, and some local members of the Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Commission. Right now, it's a "pizza garden" meaning they're growing ingredients that would go on a pizza. Did you hear that? That's my bio-clock ticking because that's a-friggin-dorable!


I'm not sure when the official grand opening for the center is, but I'll make sure to update as soon as I do. Growing up, the rec centers I visited were poorly maintained, woefully understaffed and technologically behind. Hartford is changing for the better in terms of making sure its children are up to snuff, including the opening of some amazing, state of the art magnet schools and libraries. The Parker Memorial Center/Kelvin D. Anderson Gymnasium is a huge step in the right direction for the North End of Hartford, assuring that state of the art facilities are available out of the classroom and closer to home, where it matters just as much.

If you live nearby, or just want to check it out, the address is 2621 Main Street. It's impressive! And when you leave, stop by Crown Fried Chicken. Besides your grandmother's, it's the best fried chicken you've ever had.

18 comments:

  1. I've just run across this blog, find it wonderful and informative, and well worth a first comment on this particular note (yesterday's) about opportunities for health, education, and recreation at Parker Memorial.

    I think your comments on the Blog (which I have only now begun to read) are worth seeing by far more people, if you're so inclined (including City Council members (like me), PNOC's (people not of color: how's that, for turning your phrase?), and ideas for everyone in this City which we hope is finally turning a corner after depressing and depression conditions for our people these many and especially last few years.

    Please continue sharing your thoughts and reviews.

    Larry Deutsch, Hartford City Council

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Suggestion for the City of Hartford...make the Center Wi-Fi compatible so that parents with Laptops can chill in the main space while their students go to a lesson. Or so that students can use it as a homework space. Wi-Fi please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding me! I asked if there was any chance we could have wi-fi in the future, and I was told they're looking into it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Luis Cotto for making me aware of this blog. Thanks rubyphoenix (Tianna Glass) for sharing. There are so many newsworthy or blogworthy events in Hartford, just maybe your blog will recruit a few more members from the "there's nothing to do in Hartford club".

    ReplyDelete
  5. FYI Kelvin Anderson was one of a number of promising young American boxers who died in that plane crash. There was one from my hometown (New Bedford, MA) named Andre McCoy. There is a statute of all the boxers who were killed in that crash at the Olympic training center in Colorado Springs. Very few people remember that incident anymore, but I can remember the funeral procession for McCoy going by my elemntary school. Very, very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea behind this blog, and sorry I didn't think of it myself! Got the skinny via Hartford.com. I look fwd to reading more ... I agree w/ Nyesha re: the "there's nothing to do in Hartford" crew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once upon a time Brackett elementary stood over parker memorial, around which were various playgounds, elaborate monkeybars and rows of green benches. Stowe Village/Nelton courts kids came there.When Brackett was demolished, they cut it in half, leaving it open for kids to climb through. We explored secret places in Brackett, 40 yrs ago

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're a great photographer, blurry pictures are just your artistic signature. Thanks again for supporting last night's event.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelvin D. Anderson is my uncle. He is my father's older brother. I didnt know him that well, but my mother and grandparents told me about him being a famous boxer. My brother is named after him and my son Zion "Drake" Easley is named after him as well. I would love the opportunity to visit his Gym and visit the other historical sites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am trying to get a photo of Kelvin D. Anderson to place in a book on Andrea McCoy-New Bedford, MA boxer. It is to honor all the boxers and staff who died in the crash. My email is cperry147@hotmail.com. Charles Perry, Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know it took a long time to redo the anderson gym but, it is well worth it! Im can remember the days when we double dutched outside boy oh boy what a big difference. I stop by from time to time to use the fittness center and watch basketball. Cant wait to try out the new pool.
    Thank for letting me know that the picture on the wall was not mohammad. Lol Licorice of Hartford, CT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just at the center for the first time I find it very impressive I never knew this great place existed I plan on going more often

    ReplyDelete
  13. And people say there is nothing in Hartford. Thanks for the bright spot in a city that is shadowed by negativity. My brother and his friends practice their basketball skills there. :) - I found this post by "chance" while looking up the exact address for the center. While I've never actually been inside, I knew about it and my fiance has memories there. Exceptional Job Ms RubyPhoenix

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the post, but why does it have to be titled things that black people do. how about activities in Hartford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because if you're not a minority, you wouldn't/shouldn't come down here. It's not an activity to do in Hartford, this is a community center for THIS COMMUNITY. Not a gentrification potential for others.

      Delete
  15. Great Article! The renovation looks good. Kelvin D. Anderson was my uncle. We never met in the flesh yet we have so much in common. I even talk to him while I'm jogging or even right before I enter the ring. Almost like an imaginary friend but he's really my uncle. Kelvin D. Anderson. He "died" way before I was born and me not knowing who he was still ended up loving this sport. Cool huh?! I read an article and it said he "died" March 14th 1980. Lol I laugh at that. He didn't die. He just took a break. He lives through me! https://www.facebook.com/dmdtheboxer

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice stay focus positive and encouraged - keep the dream alive

    ReplyDelete