Tuesday, June 26, 2012

North End Farmer's Market

Get your fresh tomatoes, peppers and local honey! (Sometimes...that stuff is so elusive! They need to put out a friggin mailing list or something)

Tomorrow (Wednesday, June 27) the North End Farmer's Market will open for the season. If the North End seems a little far, then maybe you need to re-examine your life and your choices because this is Hartford and the entire city is about a block long. But maybe you're like, "Tianna, I don't have a car, it really is far for me!" To which I say, "Oh man, that really sucks. How do you get McDonald's?" And you're like, "Well, I don't really eat McDonald's because I can't just stop by there whenever I feel like it like people with cars can." And I'm like, "Oh, yeah I guess that's true *nodding my head in agreement*" And you're like, "If you think about it, I'm pretty sure most people only eat fast food in a jam because it's always in driving distance and you don't have to leave your car." And I'm like, "That's true and what a shame because I'm sure that plays a hand in our poor overall health overall. I'd love to further pick your brain about this, but we're going to have to stop talking about this now because I could really go for a snackwrap." And you shake your head because people who don't eat McDonald's think those that do are just walking anthrax. 

And that head shake makes me feel bad, because I should be treating my body like a temple. I should be eating fresh food grown by people who have to suffer the same traffic on 84W as I, and shaking the stung hands of the man who cautiously collected my honey! So I gather my cloth grocery bags, hop on my bike and head to my nearest Farmer's Market while humming "Heal the World". My nearest Farmer's Market is just so happens to be the North End Farmer's Market on 80 Coventry Street, but there's way more than that running from the summer into the fall, so no need to examine your life and choices after all. (Unless you want to and if so by all means, examine away. If you're human, there's a 99% chance you're messed up anyway. May as well try to sort that whole thing out.)

Here are the Hartford Farmer's Markets (list pulled from the CT Department of Agriculture website)

Thursdays 11 a.m. ‐ 2 p.m.
May 3 ‐ December 27
539 Broad Street, Grassy Courtyard on Billings Forge Campus
FMNP Authorized WF&V SNAP

Hartford ‐ Capitol Ave Farmers’ Market
Mondays 10 a.m. ‐ 1 p.m.
July 2 ‐ October 29
First Presbyterian Church Next to Bushnell, 156 Capitol Avenue
FMNP Authorized WF&V

Hartford ‐ Homestead Farmers’ Market NEW! in 2012CT DoAG
2012 Certified Farmers’ Markets
Wednesdays 3 p.m. ‐ 6 p.m.
June 27 ‐ October 10
255 Homestead Avenue, Chrysalis Center Inc
FMNP Authorized    SNAP

Wednesdays 10 a.m. ‐ 1 p.m.
June 27 ‐ October 31
80 Coventry Street, In front of North end Senior Center
FMNP Authorized WF&V SNAP

Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 11 a.m. ‐ 2 p.m.
June 26 ‐ October 26
Old State House, 800 Main Street
FMNP Authorized WF&V

Hartford ‐ Park Street Farmers’ Market
Mondays 9:30 a.m. ‐ 1 p.m.
July 9 ‐ October 29
Walgreen's Parking Lot, Corner of Park and Washington Streets
FMNP Authorized   

Tuesdays & Fridays 4 p.m. ‐ 7 p.m., 3:30 p.m. ‐ 6 p.m. (Sept‐Oct)
June 4 ‐ October 30
United Methodist Church ‐ 571 Farmington Avenue @ South Whitney Street

No comments:

Post a Comment